[linux-lvm] lvextend error on XFS

Frank J. Buchholz frankb at ercwc.org
Mon Nov 22 20:48:32 UTC 2004

Hello,

I recently attempted to extend my logical volume.  First I added an
additional physical volume to an existing volume group.  This worked fine.

vgextend Volume00 /dev/sba
lvextend -L+100G /dev/Volume00/LogVol00

However when it came time to run the lvextend command I received a
number of  device-mapper errors.  While I was trying to determine what
the errors were I noticed that the filesystem that sits on the logical
volume being extended was no longer available.  I attempted to umount
the filesystem however the command froze.  I then rebooted the system
without mounting the filesystem in question and manually mounted the
filesystem. XFS reported back that it could not locate the superblock.

I attempted to run xfs_repair however this command failed at the first
stage because it could not find the superblock.

Is it possible to repair this problem either through LVM or XFS? I
noticed there are a number of achieved .vg files in /etc/lvm/archive  ,
is it possible to restore LVM from one of these?

I am not running any snapshot copies, which is where I've read this
occurring before.

Thanks,
Frank

--