[linux-lvm] Re: lvextend error on XFS

Frank J. Buchholz frankb at ercwc.org
Tue Nov 23 02:10:14 UTC 2004

>>> I have done lvextend followed by xfs_growfs many times without any
>>> problems.  Have you checked for hardware errors?
>>
>> Unfortunately the timing is far too coincidental to be a hardware error.
>
>Since you had just added another disk, it may not be so coincidental
>after all.
>
>> Just after typing the following command and recieving the following error
>> lvm> lvextend -L+1G /dev/Volume00/LogVol00
>>   Extending logical volume LogVol00 to 2.93 TB
>>   device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument
>>   Couldn't load device 'Volume00-LogVol00'.
>>   Problem reactivating LogVol00
>
>The last line would explain why the filesystem went offline.
>Something went wrong just after the LV had been extended, and was
>about to be reactivated.
>
>> I then noticed that the filesystem on LogVol00 was no longer available
>> and when I ran xfs_repair it stated the following:
>> # xfs_repair /dev/Volume00/LogVol00
>> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
>> superblock read failed, offset 0, size 524288, ag 0, rval 0
>>
>> fatal error -- Invalid argument
>
>What does "dmesg" have to say about this?
>
>I had a problem once with some strange errors from a disk.  It turned
>out the cable wasn't plugged in properly.
>
>--
>Måns Rullgård
>mru inprovide com

Hello Måns
I now realize how I created this problem, I just don't know how to fix it.

I mistakingly added /dev/sba as the physical volume to a volume group
that contained /dev/sba1, the one partition on sba.  These are
essentially one in the same.  So when I executed the lvextend command
device-mapper had an error.  I'm honestly surprised it did anything,
especially write over the superblock on the filesystem.

Any direction on how I can recover from within LVM?  I never was able to
execute the xfs_grow so I'm hoping the data in the filesystem still exists.

Thanks,
Frank