[linux-lvm] Re: lvextend error on XFS

Frank J. Buchholz frankb at ercwc.org
Tue Nov 23 12:37:21 UTC 2004

David Greaves wrote:

>> Hello Måns
>> I now realize how I created this problem, I just don't know how to
>> fix it.
>>
>> I mistakingly added /dev/sba as the physical volume to a volume group
>> that contained /dev/sba1, the one partition on sba.  These are
>> essentially one in the same.  So when I executed the lvextend command
>> device-mapper had an error.  I'm honestly surprised it did anything,
>> especially write over the superblock on the filesystem.
>>
>> Any direction on how I can recover from within LVM?  I never was able
>> to execute the xfs_grow so I'm hoping the data in the filesystem
>> still exists.
>

> try
> xfs_repair -n -o /dev/Volume00/LogVol00
> Then remove the -n
>
> (man xfs_repair)
>
> David

Unfortunately I've already tried this.  Here are the results.
# xfs_repair -n -o assume_xfs /dev/Volume00/LogVol00
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
superblock read failed, offset 0, size 524288, ag 0, rval 0

fatal error -- Invalid argument

I've discussed on the XFS list and they recommended I try to repair this
via LVM.

Given that I never ran xfs_growfs, is it possible to reduce the logical
volume back to the original size and then remove the physical volume
that caused the problem?  Is there someway to recover back using a
previous .vg file in /etc/lvm/archive?

Thanks,
Frank