[linux-lvm] lvcreate error

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Tue Oct 5 22:16:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:09:22PM -0700, rich turner wrote:
> i have created a bunch of logical volumes on a single system with the
> following commands:
> #lvcreate -C n -l 512 -n backuplv -p rw --persistent y --major 253
> --minor 255 -r 0 vg0

> when i try to create the next one it fails with the following error:
> #lvcreate -C n -l 640 -n usrlv -p rw --persistent y --major 253 --minor
> 242 -r 0 vg0
> Physical extent 0 of /dev/hdb2 referenced by more thatn one logical
> volume. Couldn't fill extent allocation bitmaps vg0.

Please report what version of LVM2 you're using ('lvm version') and
what architecture and what kernel.

If it's version 2.00.17 or later, please tar/zip /etc/lvm directory
and email it to me (not the list).  (Before that version, I'm not
interested.)  Also enable debugging-to-log-file for the command that
fails and send me the complete output (compressed).
  e.g. lvm.conf:  in log section:
    file="/tmp/lvm2.log"
    level=7

Also (of course) try to reproduce with latest release (2.00.25).

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com