[linux-lvm] access to hhardware copy: conflicting uuids

gilles.massen at restena.lu gilles.massen at restena.lu
Mon Oct 18 11:56:09 UTC 2004

Hi,

Hiding one copy via lvm.conf works fine. But unfortunately I have no luck
with the pvchange --uuid . After issuing the command for one drive, LVM
somehow "loses" the drive: it is still listed, but not really found. And
the PV Name changes from /dev/sdb1 (e.g.) to "unknown device". I pastes
the output of the pvdisplay below.

Making a vgchange --uuid before pvchange, or vice versa, does not change
anything. The system still knows that the VG vg-test is there, but is
unable to link it to the PV.

Any ideas?

Best,
Gilles

# pvdisplay
  Couldn't find device with uuid '1MGIR4-9aLJ-BuJL-HSZt-x6si-111E-gVRo0s'.
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               unknown device
  VG Name               vg-test
  PV Size               1020.00 MB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              255
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          255
  PV UUID               1MGIR4-9aLJ-BuJL-HSZt-x6si-111E-gVRo0s

--
RESTENA - DNS-LU
6, rue Coudenhove-Kalergi

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 09:56:45AM +0200, gilles.massen at restena.lu wrote:
> Is there a way to access such an hardware-copy LVMed drive on the same
> host where the original drive is already in use?

You can only access one copy at once.
Set filters in lvm.conf to switch between them. [Remember always to run
vgscan after changing filters.]

Then use the XXchange --uuid commands to change one set of UUIDs and
vgrename the VG.