[linux-lvm] Software raid on top of lvm logical volume

Michael T. Babcock mike at mikebabcock.ca
Thu Oct 28 18:54:24 UTC 2004

Theo Van Dinter wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 12:02:06AM +0200, Eric Monjoin wrote:
>

>>I would like to know if it's possible (works perfectly) to create a
>>software mirror (md0) on top of  2 LVM logical volumes :
>>

>You'd usually want to make your raid devices first, then put LVM on
>top of it.  I can't really think of any benefits of doing it the other
>way around.

I've thought about this numerous times -- there is the distinct resizing
advantage.  Namely, if I create a software RAID partition, I can't
resize it afterward without destroying it.  I have for example, on
occasion, had three disks set up where 1/3 of each was devoted to a
RAID-0 very fast striping set for data transfers that had to be fast but
if they were lost it wasn't critical, and 2/3 was set up as RAID-5 for
reliability of another set of data.

I understand this may not be optimal in some situations, but some of us
don't have thousands of dollars for SCSI HW RAID controllers.
--
Michael T. Babcock