[linux-lvm] massive LV corruption

Clint Byrum cbyrum at spamaps.org
Tue Sep 14 05:45:55 UTC 2004

On Monday, September 13, 2004, at 05:46 PM, Tracy R Reed wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 04:08:30AM -0700, Tracy R Reed spake thusly:
>> I am running Fedora Core 1 with stock RedHat kernel
>> 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl. I
>> filled my /usr/local to 100% and decided I needed some more space so
>> I ran
>> the lvextend and resize_reiserfs commands like I have done many times
>
> Nobody has an opinion to offer? I've been a big fan of LVM for ages but
> this incident has really shaken my confidence in it. It is my
> understanding that all of the software I am using should be pretty
> solid
> by now. I am hesitatnt to allow LVM operations on production systems
> anymore if this sort of thing can happen without explanation. :( I
> would
> like to think I did something wrong but I've used lvextend and
> resize_reiserfs a number of times before on other machines without
> incident.

I've never used resize_reiserfs, but I do know that a lot of people I
talk to won't use ReiserFS because of past problems that have since
been fixed. The tools that come with ReiserFS are generally very good.
Personally I only use ext3 or XFS on LVM because of ReiserFS's slowness
when being written to by more than one process.

If I had to blame one thing, I'd blame the heavily hacked 2.4 kernel
that came with Fedora. :-P