[linux-lvm] Snapshot volume creation seg fault

Stanley Yue stanley.yue at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 20:07:11 UTC 2004

Hi all:

I have the following questions:

1)  Does LVM1/2 allow creation of striped snapshot volume? Or must
snapshot volume be created using the second lvcreate format (i.e. one
that doesn't allow specifying number of stripes/stripSize)?

lvcreate {-l/--extents LogicalExtentsNumber |
        -L/--size  LogicalVolumeSize[kKmMgGtT]}   [-c/--chunksize   ChunkSize]
       -s/--snapshot  -n/--name  SnapshotLogicalVolumeName OriginalLogicalVol-
       umePath [PhysicalVolumePath...]

I tried to create a snapshot volume using the following cmd line
(Notice the seg fault at the end):

[root at DAP-RHLNX1 common]# lvcreate -i2 -I4 -L4M -s -nsyueSnapVol
/dev/vg00-lvm1/syueVol
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 13 failed: Invalid argument
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 13 failed: Invalid argument
  Rounding up size to full physical extent 32.00 MB
  Rounding size (1 extents) up to stripe boundary size (2 extents)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This work however,
[root at DAP-RHLNX1 common]# lvcreate -L4M -s -nsyueSnapVol /dev/vg00-lvm1/syueVol
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 13 failed: Invalid argument
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 13 failed: Invalid argument
  Rounding up size to full physical extent 32.00 MB
  Logical volume "syueSnapVol" created
[root at DAP-RHLNX1 common]#

2) I'm still confusesd as to why the device-mapper is returning
invalid argument for some operations:

[root at DAP-RHLNX1 common]# lvremove /dev/vg00-lvm1/syueSnapVol
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 13 failed: Invalid argument
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 13 failed: Invalid argument
  Logical volume "syueSnapVol" successfully removed

Are there any incompatibilites between the LVM/device-mapper version
that I'm using?

[root at DAP-RHLNX1 common]# vgscan --version
  LVM version:     2.00.22 (2004-09-03)
  Library version: 1.00.18-ioctl (2004-06-20)
  Driver version:  4.0.5

Thanks,

Stanley