[linux-lvm] Disk partition required for LVM?

David Johnston david at littlebald.com
Wed Sep 22 03:01:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 09:30, lvm at perkamentus.com wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 02:09:26PM +0100, Patrick Caulfield wrote:
> > Check that you don't have a symlink from /dev/hdb to /dev/cdrom. The debian
> > lvm.conf file excludes /dev/cdrom from LVM searches.
>
> It was indeed the symlink, although not from hdb to cdrom, but from
> cdrom to hdb. Removing this symlink (or commenting out the filter
> option in lvm.conf) solved the problem.
>
> CDRom has only been present for installation, and afterwards swapped
> for extra disk. Symlink however isn't updated.
>
> Another remark: although cdrom are filtered (and thus not allowed for
> LVM), no warning/error messages appear. Wouldn't it be useful if LVM
> checks this and shows warning/error messages or even exits during
> creation?

Not really.  Consider users who use multipath; they have to filter or
they'll see the same PV over and over and over again.  A reference in
the docs *would* help, as would a debug message in syslog (debug so it
only shows if we're looking for problems).
--
David Johnston <david at littlebald.com>
Little Bald Consulting, LLC