[linux-lvm] lvm report tool

Dieter Stüken stueken at conterra.de
Tue Apr 5 15:02:29 UTC 2005

I want to write a tool to give a quick overview
on how my LVs scatter over the different PVs.
"vgdisplay -m" lists the mapping, I need to now.
Unfortunately it is not easy to parse, and with
"-c", no mapping is listed. The -m option for
pvdisplay seems not to work. The /proc interface
also disappeared. Any clue, on how to extract the
mapping?

Anyway: using the lvm tools, I have to be root, as
they have to open/read the PVs. Any idea on how to
extract the informations as an unprivileged user?

Could sysfs (/sys) help here? Would it make sense,
to output any hierarchical information via XML?
It could be processed much saver/easier than any
colon separated lists...

Dieter.
--
Dieter Stüken, con terra GmbH, Münster