[linux-lvm] HELP ME! (Couldn't find device with uuid'blah-blah-blah') (More detailed subject) Sorry

Ramzy Darwish ramzy.darwish at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:07:57 UTC 2005

Hello,
I fixed my problem, but I am not really sure how :).
I just kept trying stuff and finally after a reboot, it worked. I would like
to know how to prevent such an event from happening again though.
> lvm version
  LVM version:     2.00.08 (2003-11-14)
  Library version: 1.00.17-ioctl (2004-04-19)
  Driver version:  4.3.0

OS: Gentoo (2004.3)

My disk config is as follows:
3 regular disk partitions on first HDD: (120G IDE ATA133 HDD, Maxtor if that
matters)
1) ext2 fs with my /boot    => /dev/hda1
2) swap partition              => /dev/hda2
3) xfs partition for /          => /dev/hda3

The rest of /dev/hda is a phsical volume given to the LVM pool as /dev/hda4
Then, before the problem, I had two IDE HDDs (both Maxtor); 1 120G ATA133
and 1 60G ATA100. Both are completely given over to the LVM. I have one
Volume Group (VolGrp) that has a number of partitions in it (My machine is a
media server running the excellent MythTV software (mythtv.org)):

>mount
devfs on /dev type devfs (rw)

none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,noatime)
/dev/hda3 on / type xfs (rw,noatime)

/dev/VolGrp/usr on /usr type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/VolGrp/home on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/VolGrp/roms on /mnt/roms type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/VolGrp/audio on /mnt/audio type xfs (rw)
/dev/VolGrp/backup on /mnt/backup type ext3 (rw)
/dev/VolGrp/video on /mnt/video type jfs (rw)
/dev/VolGrp/dvd on /mnt/video/dvd type jfs (rw)
/dev/VolGrp/videos on /mnt/video/videos type jfs (rw)
/dev/VolGrp/download on /mnt/download type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/VolGrp/win on /mnt/win type ext3 (rw)

(* I have massaged the output a little trying to make it easier to see the
differences in the setup *)

The problem began when I added two new drives: 1 Maxtor 40GB ATA100 and 1
Seagate 17G ATA100. Both IDE.
I added the 40G drive with pvcreate/vgextend and doled out its space with
lvextend commands and that seemed to go fine. I added the 17G drive with the
same commands, but had not allocated its space yet when I rebooted the
machine.

When I rebooted the machine, I got the uuid error for the same PV (which was
for the final Seagate drive) repeatedly and none of my LVs would mount,
including /usr. This was the biggest problem.

Now, I am planning to set aside a part of that 17G drive for a 'permanent'
or 'traditional' /usr partition so I can at least run all of this stuff
easily when I run into problems again.

I hope this is all of the information that you need. Please let me know what
else I need to tell you.

Thanks for your help.
ramzy