[linux-lvm] LVM volume groups and logical volumes recovery...

Eddahbi Karim thetemplar at free.fr
Fri Apr 29 22:40:21 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got a serious problem on this machine that I'm trying to fix via a
Live-CD.

I've a SATA Drive detected as a SCSI Drive on which I installed a Suse and
setting /dev/sda5 as a Linux LVM Partition. Then I created a volume group
"Suse" and 3 Logical volumes "Home" "Var" and "Opt".

Then, after some months, I decided to install Debian Sarge. I picked up the
weekly generated CD-Rom via http, 3 days ago. When trying to install Debian,
I had to partition my SATA drive (heh) and I selected to delete 2 Logical
Volumes (Var and Opt) in the volume group "Suse". It seems, but I don't
remember deleting it and replacing it, that the Linux LVM partition has been
formatted with reiserfs tools by Debian Sarge.

Then, after my Reboot, with the same Debian Sarge CD, my Suse Volume Group was
gone. Debian hasn't been installed because there was a problem with Grub too
but partman didn't detect my volume group...

So I picked up a Live-CD and try to do pvscan but it returned that no Volume
Group was found and the Live-CD mounted /dev/sda5 like a simple ReiserFS
partition with no data in it.
That's pretty weird and I thought that my datas were lost but cat /dev/sda5
displays a lot information and datas that were in the logical volumes "Home"
"Var" and "Opt".

So, in short :

- My LVM partition (Only physical volume) on /dev/sda5 (SATA drive) have been
formated like a simple ReiserFS partition and this wiped away my Volume Group
with its Logicial Volumes.
- Datas are still visible via cat /dev/sda5
- Is there a way to get the data back or the LVM layout back so I can mount
the partitions ?
- Or Is there a way to analyze the partition and get data back ?

Following, system information :

http://thetemplar.free.fr/Tragedy

I think I gave all important informations. If you have a way to fix this, tell
me. Even if If it sounds a bit crazy...

Regards,

--
Eddahbi Karim