[linux-lvm] pvmove on broken disk

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Aug 26 16:13:32 UTC 2005

--On August 26, 2005 3:26:26 PM +0200 Fredrik Tolf <fredrik at dolda2000.com>
wrote:

> Dear List,

<...>
> I've got a related question as well, but it's not really LVM-related.
> The thing is that there's something strange with either the IDE chipset
> (a Promise card) or the corresponding driver that this disk is connected
> to, which causes a kernel panic every time a read from a bad sector is
> attempted. I figure I can "fix" that by connecting the drives to a
> different computer while pvmoving, but I wouldn't prefer to do that, as
> it causes downtime. Does someone on the list know of this problem and
> how to work around it? I figure that I can attempt to fix the driver
> bug, but I wouldn't prefer to experiment with that system...

Actually, if you're having PV errors, it might be the filesystem driver
that's panic-ing....you'll need to run the output through ksymoops and find
out where it's dieieng.  If you've corrupted filesystem data, that's the
much more likely target (although what you're hypothesizing isn't
impossible, I've just never seen that).

> Thanks for your time!
>
> Fredrik Tolf

into trouble of all kinds."