[linux-lvm] Moving space between logical volumes?

Chris Osicki lvm at osk.ch
Wed Aug 31 21:28:27 UTC 2005

Hi Howard

Your start point is "man lvreduce". Depending of the filesystem type
you're using you would have to find out how to resize the FS _before_
using lvreduce/lvextend. Depending on the FS type it may or may not be
possible to do it on a mounted FS. In worst case a boot from Rescue-CD
would be necessary == down-time.

You will have to do this:

	 resize (decrease size of) the file system on the huge_lvol
	 lvreduce huge_lvol
	 lvextend tight_lvol
	 resize (increase size of) the file system on the tight_lvol

LVols resizing was I think the first and most important motivation to
write LVM.
Good luck.

Regards,
Chris