[linux-lvm] Newbie of LVM

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 19:57:54 UTC 2005

Yes, it is possible and this is the way LVM is supposed to work else who
will touch it?
U will need to copy your data at least once,
I mean, to merge, U must have your data on LVM - so get it there !!

Since U will have a shining brand new HDD, and your taste says it will be
bigger than previous one - has to be, else drop the idea or data!

So brief steps would be (Details, please work out precisely before
proceeding or ask)

0. Read LVM things before hand - they will come very handy because U are now
embracing LVM.

1. plug New HDD in the box, and get it going.
2. Get LVM on new disk going. PV, PE, VG, LV, etc all done.
3. Copy (please note - copy it is - not move - not shift)  copy data to new
disc to LVM partition created on new disk.

4. Reboot and "confirm" that new data is available (Do not skip this step).

5. "ReConfirm" by all means that your data is safe sound and reachable on
new disc. Like use it again and again and earn confidence with it.
Check data presence through your software etc etc etc etc.

6. I do not wish to use capitals but "do not delete your old data on md5"
"do not delete your old data on md5".
6.1 Keep it as backup for few days till U become comfortable with your data
in new location.

 ### Important ### U C, U have a new disc, may be, twice the size of old
disc.... just wait before U delete old data.

7. Then onwards it will be like house keeping. I mean merging of partitions
starts now . And for that u will have to reformat (or wait for FC8, it may
be sooner) your old partition. Read LVM thoroughly, it is good only with
caution.

I again remind that U are playing with data, keep backup.