[linux-lvm] LVM onFly features

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sat Dec 10 22:10:05 UTC 2005

--On December 10, 2005 9:22:32 PM +0100 Marc-Jano Knopp
<pub_ml_lvm at marc-jano.de> wrote:

> Thanks for the detailled explanation!

I try not to say something without actual experience and technical details
to back it up. :)

> Yes, I would *love* to use a totally new file system with a new,
> dynamic, good design, but - just as many others - had my experiences
> with ReiserFS and it will take a *lot* of time for ReiserFS to restore
> confidence. So for now, I'll probably stay with ext3, with which I had
> no problems so far.
>
> JFS/XFS should also both be capable of growing, XFS of online-growth,
> IIRC.

XFS has terrible unpredictable performance in production.  Also it has very
bad behavior when recovering from crashes, often times it's tools totally
fail to clean the filesystem.  It also needs larger kernel stacks because
of some of the really deep call trees, so when you use it with LVM or MD it
can oops unless you use the larger kernel stacks.  We also have had
problems with the quota system but the details on that have faded.

I've had far better reliability and performance out of ReiserFS in
production (late 2.4 series... 2.4.20+, currently 2.4.25, with some patches
on most of our larger systems) than XFS.  I've not had any close experience
with JFS.

XFS is also very biased towards streaming rather than random I/O
performance in our experience.

XFS may be a proven filesystem, but it has not yet been proven in Linux'
implementation.  That said, all of the filesystems have their own quirks
and shortcomings.  We had a corruption problem with our CX200 that caused
our ReiserFS to lose most of it's tails.  Really it was the CX200 (EMC
Clariion) fault, but it felt (And still does) at the time that ReiserFS
could've or atleast should've been able to save more of the tail data that
it lost.  It didn't lose any files, just a the tails.

> Gruß
>
>   Marc-Jano

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler