[linux-lvm] Recovery of data in LVM from a corrupt disk

mymail mymail internetbizmail at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 22:03:01 UTC 2005

I have a FC3 system with two disks. The first (/dev/hda) is a new disk on which I have a rebuilt system which has a new LVM installed. The other disk (/dev/hdc) is the system disk that failed. As I couldn't get hdc to boot, my intention is to access hdc by mounting it on the hda system to copy data around, or try other ways to recover what's on there. However whenever I try

   # mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt
   FAT: invalid media value (0x8e)
   mount: you must specify the filesystem type

I get filesystem not found errors. The filesystem type according to fdisk is 8e (LVM), but can I get at the data that's on there and then copy that?

Any hints on how to recover this would be appreciated. I can find loads of info on LVM and how it works, which is great when you have a working system, but not so good when it's corrupt!

Any help on how to do backups and the best procedure to follow in the event of another disaster will also be useful -- there is nothing in the FAQs, etc I've seen on this.

http://mail.yahoo.com