[linux-lvm] Recovery of data in LVM from a corrupt disk

Hale India hale_india at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 07:27:35 UTC 2005

Hi Dan

 Very nice to you to give us this link.

 What I was talking about is a problem for recovery specific to LVM :
 If you machine crash, (not your disk) with ext2, ext3, reiserfs, JFS you can put your disk in any other machine as second or third disk etc.. and access your data's.
 If you have a LVM : you are in the trap. With reiserfs you have many good way to recover. With JFS you can even take advantage of the situation to switch to a raid mode.

 For my concern I have now my solution : I start Linux in an USB key using ext3 (using SLAX) and if the machine crash I can start  in very short term using any else machine. I loose less than 30 mn and no data's and for my job 30mn is already a lot.

 LVM is suppose to give better function than ext2 or ext3 etc.
 Sucurity ofd data's is the first priority of disk system and should be the very first one for LVM.

 I have personaly daily backup. But many people have not what must we say ?
 For me I just advice them to not use LVM, because they would not have a good exit way. (even if you loose only one day it can be a problem).
 I consider that a good disk system should allow to get back data if disk is good working. Not only if the whole machine is good working.

 If any people has a good solution they are welcome and I would appologize.

 Best regards

 Andre

Dan Stromberg <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu> wrote:
Please see http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/data-recovery.html -
especially the link about ext3 and LVM2.