[linux-lvm] Recovery of data in LVM from a corrupt disk

Hale India hale_india at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 13:47:24 UTC 2005

Andy

 As I told you knopix has not natiuve support to LVM.
 Links you gave to me demonstarte that to recover LVM you need complexes steps not required for other filesystem or logical volume managers.

 I use now filesystems usable by stupid people like me and I live LVM for more clever people.

 Why not for example use Knoppix if to recover fedora you need it ?
 At least Knoppix arrive with many good recovery tools. (But not LVM native support).

 Best regards

 Andre Legendre

Andy Smith <andy at strugglers.net> wrote: On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 04:43:46AM -0800, Hale India wrote:

>    Hi
>    I tried to see my data from knoppix, but for what I remember knoppiux
>    does not support LVM.

It does as I have used knoppix LVM support several times.

http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/search?q=knoppix+lvm

>    From your links I found
>    http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/EXT3-filesystem-recovery-in-LVM2.html
>    Which seems to give some tricks. I don't know if this is capable to
>    work.

There is plenty of good information there.

>    But it seems that LVM project does not take care about that and I find
>    very bad for such a project to give no exit way for such a problem.

I agree that people who aren't willing to do any research or
diagnostic work when they have a failure caused by their broken
hardware should not use LVM or Linux, or computers.

>    It should have some recovery guide documentation in the project.

I would rather they continued developing the software as opposed to
paying people to write documentation covering every possible outcome
of hardware problems which users still will not read.