[linux-lvm] vgscan changing/resetting perms?

Jeff Bethke jeff at avondalenetworks.com
Wed Feb 16 18:37:10 UTC 2005

Hello!
   I have a LVM2 question that I am guessing has been asked before,
however, I can't find it anywhere in the archives.   The problem is
simple...   I create a volume group called 'vgfoo' at /dev/vgfoo. I
create all the devices logical volumes under it.   I change the perms
for the logical volumes/volume groups to a user:groupid other than
root:root.   At this point everything is fine.

Then I go ahead and reboot the host or someone comes along and runs a
vgscan.  VOILA!  The perms for those files reset to root:root.   How do
I prevent that from happeneing?  I want it so that I can make a device
and set its perms to some user, and forget about it.   Is that even
possible? If so, how? Or, what am I doing wrong in setting up the lv/vg's?

TIA for any answers!

-jeff