[linux-lvm] lvm liveCD help needed

Fred Donck fred at donck.com
Thu Feb 24 08:35:03 UTC 2005

Paul Pianta <pantz at lqt.ca>
   wrote at Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 04:43:41PM -0500:

> Hi people
>
> I have a gentoo live cd (with lvm support) and I assume this is what I
> need to use to
> 1. create the volume group vgRoot
> 2. create the three logical volumes lvUsr, lvHome, lvVar
> 3. copy /usr, /home, /var from /dev/md1 over to these newly created
> logical volumes
> 4. edit /etc/fstab to reflect the new partition layout
> 5. reboot and dance around the room with my pants down singing 'oh what
> a beautiful morning'

Paul,

The url below is what i used and it runs perfectly.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID_mirror_and_LVM2_on_top_of_RAID

I have a 4x250Gb machine with disk 0 and 3 as raid pair. My fstab looks
like this:

/dev/md0         /boot           ext3            noauto,noatime 1 1
/dev/md2         /               reiserfs        noatime 0 0
/dev/md1         none            swap            sw 0 0
/dev/vg/usr      /usr            reiserfs        noatime 0 0
/dev/vg/var      /var            reiserfs        noatime 0 0
/dev/vg/tmp      /tmp            reiserfs        noatime 0 0
/dev/vg/opt      /opt            reiserfs        noatime 0 0
/dev/vg/home     /home           reiserfs        noatime 0 0

have a look at the URL

> thanks
>
> pantz

--- End of pantz at lqt.ca's quote ---

cheers,
--
Fred

Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted