[linux-lvm] Adding a disk to a VG gone bad - need help

M. Matt Colgin mcolgin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:19:46 UTC 2005

Weird, I'm not totally following how/what happened, but it sounds like
you VG went from 1 PV to 3 (but maybe you started off with two).
Hopefully you don't have some super important data on it. If you do,
there are some people with more knowledge than me, repost your
question with some more/updated information.

Each LVM command will write a "changelog" to the /etc/lvm/archive/*
directory with the state of the VG before/after the command was
issued. The best bet to undo the extend would be to issue a
vgcfgrestore with the file, before your vgextend.

It might be worth checking into the physical connections for your new
drive. The UUID is basically a uniq signature that is written to the
front of the drive/partition. If this UUID can not be found, then it's
possible the drive went bad or (most likely) the computer doesn't see
the drive anymore. Look at the cables, replace a cable, check out the
BIOS (make sure it's being detected), etc. Fixing a failed connection
is better than messing around with the LVM VG with a missing drive. If
you can get the drive to show up, then it would be a simple matter of
vgreduce.