[linux-lvm] mount my lv with write permisions locks up OS

Richard S. Bunke rbunke at speakeasy.net
Wed Jan 5 08:02:54 UTC 2005

Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 08:36:27AM -0500, Richard S. Bunke wrote:
>

>>If I try to
>>mount it with write access it locks up the whole OS -- no errors.
>>

>>here is the setup:
>>lvm2
>>2.6.9 kernel on Gentoo
>>

>Which lvm2 version?
>It's only worth investigating if you can reproduce it with at least
>lvm2 2.00.25 (preferably 2.00.32) and a recent kernel (eg 2.6.10).
>
>Alasdair

Thanks for your response,

    I updated my kernel to 2.6.10 and I upgraded to lvm2 2.00.32.  I
also switched from using the old dev file system to the new udev file
system to see if would have any impact.   Otherwise the setup is the
same as in my original post.   Now when I try to mount with write
permission, the system reboots instead of freezing.  I can still mount
read only.  I'm still not getting error messages unfortunately.  Is
there things I can turn on that will be more verbose when errors like
this occur?

Rick