[linux-lvm] snapshots and nfs

Kristina Clair kclair at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 21:10:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:07:04 -0500, Randall A. Jones
<rajones at svs.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Kristina Clair wrote:
>
> >No, if I run xfs_freeze first, lvcreate hangs when it tries to suspend
> >the volume, so I stopped doing that.
> >Now, if I run lvcreate shortly after the machine is booted, it runs
> >successfully.  However, if I try to run the same command the next day,
> >after it's been online and the webservers have had the filesystem
> >mounted, it hangs when trying to suspend the volume.
> >

> Is it possible that mounting the NFS mounts on the webservers read-only
> as a temporary measure while creating the snapshot will help?

Actually, I just tried running lvcreate while the fliesystem is not
mounted on any of the webservers, and I'm having the same problem.
If there are any logs or command output that would be especially
helpful to see, let me know.  There is nothing in either
/var/log/messages or dmesg...

Kristina