[linux-lvm] can data be found after cleaning the first sector by mistake? (tears in my eyes)

Ming Zhang mingz at ele.uri.edu
Sun Jan 23 22:59:46 UTC 2005

I have 2 disk sda and sdb, build a md0 on them, and create vg and lv on
top of md0.

when i upgraded my system from fedora 2 to 3, it reported my sda and sdb
contain uninitialized partition table and need to clean. i mad a stupid
error by pressing yes!

now no matter what command i execute, it reports.

[root at localhost ~]# lvscan
  Logical volume (vol1) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  Volume group "datavg" not found
[root at localhost ~]# pvscan -P
  Partial mode. Incomplete volume groups will be activated read-only.
  Logical volume (vol1) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  No matching physical volumes found
[root at localhost ~]# vgmknodes
  Logical volume (vol1) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  Volume group "datavg" not found

i wonder if there is any way to get my personal data back. thanks so
much if anybody can give a hint!

these are my system information

[root at localhost ~]# fdisk /dev/sda -l

Disk /dev/sda: 164.6 GB, 164696555520 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20023 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

[root at localhost ~]# fdisk /dev/sdb -l

Disk /dev/sdb: 164.6 GB, 164696555520 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20023 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

[root at localhost ~]# more /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sda[0] sdb[1]
      160836416 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>