[linux-lvm] Reducing/Resizing LVM where "/" filesystem is included in the LVM

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Mon Jan 24 00:26:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 01:55:55PM -0800, fromkth+lvm at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Now I want to free some space from the linux LVM(hda6) and create a
> FAT32 partition as hda7.
>
> So how to reduce that LVM?

I suggest you use qtparted. Basically you need to:

1. Resize /
2. Move the swap volume back so it is adjacent to / (as it is swap, you could just
run swapoff, delete the volume, and then recreate it.)
3. Reduce the physical volume size

I don't know if qtparted can do step 3 but it can do steps 1 and 2, I think.

> one more questions my /boot parition is /dev/hda5 but in fstab it shows
> it as LABEL=/boot
> so how is that?

/dev/hda5 contains a label called /boot. That means if you move /boot to a different
partition, you don't have to change your fstab, which is useful, but rarely.

However, if you ever insert another Linux-formatted hard drive in your system,
from a different computer, it can cause the OS to become very confused as it cannot
determine which "/boot"-labelled partition to use! That is the disadvantage of
partition labelling.

--
Robin