[linux-lvm] XFS and snapshots [WAS: Re: Why the dramatic increase in filesystem performance when usingxfs????]

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:51:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:36:45 -0500, Kristina Clair <kclair at gmail.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >         xfs_freeze -f "$SCRATCH_MNT"
> >         [ $? != 0 ] && echo xfs_freeze -f "$SCRATCH_MNT" failed
> >         (
> >                 lvcreate --snapshot --size 1G --name scratch_snap "$VG/scratch"\
> >                         > /dev/null 2>&1
> >

> I'm confused.  I've gotten the impression from other posts to this
> list that one should not use xfs_freeze before creating snapshots.
> The reason being that xfs_freeze suspends the filesystem, and then
> lvcreate will also attempt to suspend the filesystem...
>
> ???
>
> Kristina

Kristina,

I was not clear.

I posted about a working snapshot test script for LVM1 / 2.4 kernel / XFS.

It has not yet been tested with the 2.6 kernel at all, and I know
nothing about LVM2.

I was looking for feedback about obvious changes to the syntax between
LVM1 and LVM2.  Do they even use the same command names?

Your statement about xfs_freeze being a problem may be true and if so
would be the first known (to me) incompatibility in the script.

Nathan, is there a bugzilla about xfs_freeze causing problems witht he
2.6 kernel?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer