[linux-lvm] How to recover data corrupted by vgcreate

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 15:00:02 UTC 2005

On Jul 27, 2005, at 12:24 PM, AJ Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:33:05AM -0500, Jonathan E Brassow wrote:
>> I'm not familiar exactly with how the metadata gets laid on disk, but
>> I would think you could just 'vgcreate vg_name /dev/hdd2' (you did
>> this
>> already) then 'lvcreate -n <lvname> -l <max size> vg_name'...  This of
>> course assumes that the previous lv resided wholly on /dev/hdd2.  Then
>> try mounting the new lv and see what happens.
>
> Before you do that, try vgcfgrestore.

AJ, when he did the initial 'vgcreate' was part of the process to
create a backup copy of the metadata?  If so, vgcfgrestore could work.
But otherwise, I'm not sure were the old metadata would be stored,
since this disk is from a different machine...  Seems odd to me that
vgcreate would blow over the old vg if it knew about it.  If it did not
know (or detect the old vg), how would it know to backup the metadata?

  brassow