[linux-lvm] pvcreate issues

Arshavir Grigorian ag at m-cam.com
Wed Jun 1 17:59:30 UTC 2005

Henrik Morsing wrote:
>>AJ Lewis wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 02:48:11PM -0400, Arshavir Grigorian wrote:
>>>

>>>You're sure sd[c-f] is not the same device on multiple paths?
>>>

>>How can I be sure? How do I check?
>>
>>This SAN exports another set of 4 LUNs to a different server and they
>>work just fine.
>

> It does look like you're seing the same disk through four different paths.
> What OS is the other server running? The people that setup the SAN should
> know if it is multi pathed or not.

Thanks.

Looks like it might be a problem with the type of firmware we have on
the SAN which only allows for one active fiber channel controller at a
time. The second controller should be used only when the first one
fails. What we were doing was to export the first set of 4 volumes
through one controller and another set of 4 on the other controller,
hence the problem. We will either have to change the firmware to allow
for 2 active controllers (no failover spare) or buy a switch to make all
the volumes accessible to more than one server through the first fc
controller.

--
Arshavir Grigorian
Systems Administrator/Engineer