[linux-lvm] Raw device usage with LVM2 question

Gary Eheman eheman at funsoft.com
Thu Jun 9 12:52:21 UTC 2005

I am moving some LVM1 use to a system with LVM2.

Under LVM1, I was creating my own  /dev/raw  device nodes with mknod and
would use the raw command to point my raw devices at a logical volume.
The raw command would be issued to link each of my created /dev/raw/
devices to  "/dev/volume-group-name/logical-volume-name"

With LVM2, it appears that "/dev/volume-group-name/logical-volume-name"
is a symbolic link to /dev/mapper/volumegroupname-logical-volume-name.
Should my raw device be pointing to the same thing (now a symlink under
LVM2) as under LVM1?  Or should I change the raw command to point my
/dev/raw device to the /dev/mapper/ device?

I am using SuSE 9.3 Pro, if it matters.
--
Gary Eheman
Fundamental Software, Inc.