[linux-lvm] lvcreate goes into deep-sleep while creating an xfs snapshot

AJ Lewis alewis at redhat.com
Thu Jun 9 15:49:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:16:57PM +0200, Klaus Strebel wrote:
> Sven Riedel schrieb:
> >Hi,
> >I'm creating a backup script for a database using lvm snapshots.
> >The script ran fine for a few test runs, then I added xfs_freeze -f
> >just before the lvcreate command, as per HOWTO recipe. Now
> >lvcreate went into deep-sleep and wont wake up:
> >
> >update:~/bin# ps ax | grep lvcreate
> >25053 pts/2    D<L+   0:00 lvcreate -s -L 55M -n tables_snap
> >   /dev/database_vg/tables_lv
> >
> >Running lvdisplay in a different terminal to see if lvm itself
> >is still seeing all LVs results in lvdisplay going into
> >deep-sleep mode as well. Doing an strace -p 25053
> >doesn't display anything (strace won't catch my interrupts
> >either, but according to ps it's in a regular sleep).
> >
> >dmesg doesn't say anything to this situation.
> >
> >Is there a known issue with snapshots and xfs_freeze?
> >Any way I can gather pertinent debugging info?
> >
> >I'm running lvm 2.01.04 (package from debian unstable).
>
> The HOWTO is way old, with LVM2 the XFS filesystem is 'frozen'
> automaticly on the mount -onouuid,ro ( not quite sure, but probably also
> for LVM1 ..., think it's in the XFS code ).
> So, forget xfs_freeze. It's freezing your box, not your filesystems.

I'm *slowly* working on getting the howto updated for LVM2.  I should have the
xfs_freeze-related lines out today.  I've been meaning to do that for a while.
Please e-mail me if you see other things that are wrong in the HowTo.

Thanks,
--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat Inc.                               E-Mail: alewis at redhat.com
One Main Street SE, Suite 209
Minneapolis, MN 55414

Current GPG fingerprint = D9F8 EDCE 4242 855F A03D  9B63 F50C 54A8 578C 8715
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...