[linux-lvm] Is LVM safe?

AJ Lewis alewis at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 15:45:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 04:27:35PM +0100, John Rowe wrote:

> > > The idea that a disk partition needs Unix file to be able to read it is
> > > absolutely astonishing.
> >
> > What?
>
> I'm getting two different answers here. One person says I don't
> need /etc/lvm.*, the other says I do!

Ok, so the only time you *need* /etc/lvm/* is if you have to recover from bad
metadata.  Every PV in your VG has a complete copy of the metadata for that
VG, so you have multiple copies of the layout - if you have one of these, you
can recover your LVM setup.

> FWIW, I'm running Linux version 2.6.9-5.0.5.EL having 'upgraded' from
> RedHat9 to Scientific Linux 4 (a RedHat Enterprise clone), and I can't
> see my LVM..

Seeing the output of 'vgscan -vvv' and 'vgchange -ay -vvv' would be helpful -
maybe you could toss it up on pastebin.com?

--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat Inc.                               E-Mail: alewis at redhat.com
One Main Street SE, Suite 209
Minneapolis, MN 55414

Current GPG fingerprint = D9F8 EDCE 4242 855F A03D  9B63 F50C 54A8 578C 8715
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...