[linux-lvm] LVM2 Volume and Volume group naming nomenclature

Sam Rogers srogers at redshift.com
Mon Jun 20 16:30:57 UTC 2005

Ok, I am not try to start a flame war here, but I run dab smack into a
walk that shouldn't be there. I have managed HPUX for many years which
is the inspiration for Linux's LVM, and yes I know H.P. did not invent
LVM. And for the most part you guys have done a pretty good job. I know
it is a lot of hard work that has gone into this software.

But there is a major problem. LVM2 will not (from what I can see)
recognize volume group names like VG00. I do not understand? Why type
Volgroup00 when VG00 is quicker. In the HPUX version you can name the
volume group and logical volume anything you want. I don't see why we
can't do the same. It took me over a year to figure why LVM2 was not
working in an install until I gave up naming the volume group and let it
default to Volgroup00.

I commend all the programmers for this project, but respectfully ask
that you change/modify and or add the logical and volume naming feature
to this great product.

Regards,

    Sam Rogers.

P.S.
   If this is already in development then please disregard this message.