[linux-lvm] recover problem from hard disk failure

Denie Andriessen denie at bokxing.nl
Tue Jun 21 16:27:40 UTC 2005

It is not possible !

Only option you *might* have, is to do a dd_rescue from the failing disk on to a new disk (I used same make/model), only works if the old disk sometimes still has a little life in it..

http://freshmeat.net/projects/ddrescue/

I used it once, took a LONG time, stopping and starting it, but recovered over 90% in the end
Patience, having a rubber hammer at hand, hitting it from time to time...

Else: restore from backup !
(You DO have a backup, right ?)

Denie