[linux-lvm] ide / debian

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Tue May 10 17:32:49 UTC 2005

  I want to combine hdb hdc and hdd to one logical volume.
  Each is 80G. All had a single partition. I have a 2.6.8 kernel.
  I  run the latest Debian testing version of lvm2.

  The first attempt only got me only 149G for the vg.
  So I followed the route suggested in the howto
  to delete the partition tables on every disk
  and use the devices. This give me a 220G vg. But
  there were some error messages about not opening
  /dev/hdb1 etc, which I ignored. I create an lv
  to fill the volume group and make an ext2 file
  system on it.

  After the first reboot, the lv was not found. Inconsistent
  metaadata was reported, which I fixed with the suggested
  syntax, then tried to create the vg again, but got a
  much smaller size.

  I want to start from scratch for the third time.

fafner:~# vgremove /dev/vg1
  Volume group "vg1" not found or inconsistent.
  Consider vgreduce --removemissing if metadata is inconsistent.
fafner:~# vgreduce --removemissing vg1
  Volume group "vg1" not found
fafner:~# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
fafner:~# vgcreate vg1 /dev/hdb /dev/hdc /dev/hdd
  /dev/vg1: already exists in filesystem

  My general impression is that maybe with ide or Debian,
  this technology is not quite mature. If anyone wants
  to check out this problem, I will be happy to allow
  access to the machine.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel at openlib.org
                                 http://openlib.org/home/krichel