[linux-lvm] incorrect metadata area header checksum

Geoff geoff at gurutoo.com
Thu May 12 00:44:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

OK, here goes the story, hope someone can help (disclaimer, I am relatively
new to linux and VERY new to LVM).

Was using linux kernel 2.4.30 with LVM2 - initialised PV, created VG no
problem. Couldnt create LV due to device mapper. Turns out that for some
reason it didnt compile into the kernel correctly. Tried recompiling a few
times, still no go.

Thought, blow it, try 2.6 so compiled and booted off 2.6.11.8.

Everything seemed ok, except I couldnt create the LV due to a read/write
error. Search archives, no luck.
Decided to remove VG and recreate it.
Removed VG got read/write errors.
Now, I cant do anything getting "incorrect metadata area header checksum"
messages.
pvscan says:
"incorrect metadata area header checksum"
"incorrect metadata area header checksum"
"incorrect metadata area header checksum"
"incorrect metadata area header checksum"
PV /dev/sda7                      lvm2 [198.35 GB]
Total: 1 [198.35 GB] / in use: 0 [0  ] /in no VG: 1 [198.35 GB]

So, I have 2 problems:
1. resolving this error and initialising the PV and creating the VG again,
2. Creating the LV.

help! :P

thanks
Geoff