[linux-lvm] disk capacity discrepancy: is it 1000 versus 1024?

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Sat May 14 21:18:06 UTC 2005

I originally had a hardware RAID with fourteen 400 GB drives of
usable capacity (Hitachi 7K400) . That's 5600 GB altogether. That's
what both fdisk and df report (filesystem was ext3).

When I instead created an LVM2 physical volume on the device, I get
just 5.09 TB.

Is LVM eating several hundreds gigabytes of space or is it the case
that LVM uses terminology in a strict multiply by 1024 fashion versus
everything else, which is multiplying by 1000. In that case, I guess
the drives aren't really 400 GBs. :-(

However, it appears that parameters passed to LVM commands are
interpreted using x1000, not x1024.

other keywords: gigabinarybytes, gibibytes, Gi, terabinarybytes, tebibytes, Ti.

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu