[linux-lvm] Daemon or Thread with 5 minute interval

Howard Rifkin howard.rifkin at hp.com
Thu May 26 11:50:15 UTC 2005

I have been working on a project that analyzes "noise" in Linux clusters
running large parallel jobs. Where noise is caused by daemons or kernel
threads periodically waking up and slowing down a process of a parallel
job enough so that is misses a rendezvous with the other processes and
so slows down the entire job. Using an internal tool I have been able to
track down several daemons that have been a large source of noise but,
after turning them all off I am left with a large noise spike that
occurs every 5 minutes. I have tried turning off most of the most common
daemons such as cron, ntp, syslog, ect. but, I am still left with this
spike. Not being a kernel expert myself I have not been able to
experiment with kernel threads. So, my question is does anyone know of a
kernel thread or daemon in the 2.4 kernel that wakes up every 5 minutes?

Thanks

Howard