[linux-lvm] pvcreate issues

Arshavir Grigorian ag at m-cam.com
Thu May 26 14:27:35 UTC 2005

AJ Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 02:48:11PM -0400, Arshavir Grigorian wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>We have a SAN that exports 4 LUNs. These appear as SCSI devices on the
>>server (/dev/sd[c-f]). When I try to create physical volumes on these
>>devices, I get the following error:
>>
>>#>pvcreate /dev/sdc
>>  Physical volume "/dev/sdc" successfully created
>>
>>#>pvcreate /dev/sdd
>>  Found duplicate PV ZlhU50ejJ1VkoULTcU5ODsl2BP26IjQW: using /dev/sdc
>>not /dev/sdd
>>  Found duplicate PV ZlhU50ejJ1VkoULTcU5ODsl2BP26IjQW: using /dev/sde
>>not /dev/sdd
>>  Found duplicate PV ZlhU50ejJ1VkoULTcU5ODsl2BP26IjQW: using /dev/sdf
>>not /dev/sdd
>>  Physical volume "/dev/sdd" successfully created
>>
>>This happens after pvcreate is run the second time, does not matter in
>>which order. It looks like when pvcreate sets the device id, it somehow
>>sets it for all the devices.
>

> You're sure sd[c-f] is not the same device on multiple paths?

How can I be sure? How do I check?

This SAN exports another set of 4 LUNs to a different server and they
work just fine.

pvcreate --version
   LVM version:     2.00.33 (2005-01-07)
   Library version: 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)
   Driver version:  4.4.0

pvcreate on the server that does not work is a little newer, so I wonder
if there was any new code/bug fix(es) since this version that caused a
regression.

--
Arshavir Grigorian
Systems Administrator/Engineer