[linux-lvm] Unable to remove a pvmove LV

Randall A. Jones rajones at svs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 3 00:11:45 UTC 2005

Delian Krustev wrote:

> serv0:/# lvdisplay
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/s0_data/data
>   VG Name                s0_data
>   LV UUID                Wzs9Lu-5IUj-DK88-UVnZ-QJpj-gHuD-3a01jq
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              available
>   # open                 1
>   LV Size                1.02 TB
>   Current LE             4164
>   Segments               23
>   Allocation             inherit
>   Read ahead sectors     0
>   Block device           254:0
>
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/s0_data/pvmove0
>   VG Name                s0_data
>   LV UUID                H8As4Y-m61V-krSa-lGTd-pNRh-Ef1e-UStXSC
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              NOT available
>   LV Size                46.50 GB
>   Current LE             186
>   Segments               1
>   Allocation             contiguous
>   Read ahead sectors     0
>
> serv0:/# lvremove -v -f -d /dev/s0_data/pvmove0
>     Using logical volume(s) on command line
>   Can't remove locked LV pvmove0
> serv0:/# pvmove --abort -v
>     Finding all volume groups
>     Finding volume group "s0_data"

Another way to remove a misbehaving pvmove logical volume is to restore
to a metadata config state previous to the pvmove command.  The command
to do this is vgcfgrestore.  This is only possible if you haven't
modified the volume group or the logical volume in a way that might
cause you to lose something important.  For example if you created a new
LV and put a filesystem on it *after* a failed or uncleaned pvmove, you
CANNOT restore to the config before the pvmove or you'll lose your new LV.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what happens if you (accidentally?) try to
restore metadata that results in removing an active, in use volume group
or logical volume.  Does anyone have any information about how dangerous
this is?  Is there a check for active VGs or LVs when restoring previous
metadata with vgcfgrestore?

For example, assuming a volume group named "vg0", to see the metadata
config history for vg0 use:

vgcfgrestore -l vg0

Look for the desired config before the pvmove command.  Let's say the
pvmove happened after the vg0_00009.vg metadata backup was stored, then
restore that config with:

vgcfgrestore -v --file /etc/lvm/archive/vg0_00009.vg vg0

Be careful what you restore and look at any recent changes carefully
before using vgcfgrestore.

Regards,
Randy
--
..:.::::
Randall Jones     GST      NASA Goddard Space Flight Center