[linux-lvm] Failed xfs_growfs after lvextend

Randall A. Jones rajones at svs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Nov 5 18:31:10 UTC 2005

I extended an LV to 12.28TB and ran xfs_growfs on the mount point, lv0.
This appeared to work fine except that after this, the filesystem didn't
appear any larger.

rajones at mapdata<~>$ df -h /lv0
/dev/mapper/vg0-lv0   4.1T  2.9T  1.3T  70% /lv0

This was the size of the filesystem before the xfs_growfs was run and after.

Is it possible the LV or VG could be corrupted in some way?  Or is the
problem likely with the xfs filesystem?  I've run xfs_repair on
/dev/mapper/vg0-lv0 and it complete successfully.  I can mount the
filesystem with no errors and see the existing data but the size still
shows up wrong.

The System in question:

The PVs in the VG are LUNs on an external FC attached RAID unit.
The system OS is FC3 running kernel 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp,
xfsprogs-2.6.13-2, lvm2-2.00.25-1.01.

What happened:

root at mapdata<~>$ lvextend -l +33528 /dev/vg0/lv0 /dev/sdi1 /dev/sdj1
/dev/sdk1 /dev/sdl1 /dev/sdm1 /dev/sdn1

After the extend I have the following LV.

root at mapdata<~>$ lvdisplay
   --- Logical volume ---
   LV Name                /dev/vg0/lv0
   VG Name                vg0
   LV UUID                qbk6r9-RxpP-Bx9Y-joJV-4ptl-PSNE-PuXX1X
   LV Write Access        read/write
   LV Status              available
   # open                 2
   LV Size                12.28 TB
   Current LE             50292
   Segments               11
   Allocation             inherit
   Read ahead sectors     0
   Block device           253:0

root at mapdata<~>$ xfs_growfs /lv0

Results in no change in the mounted filesystem size.

root at mapdata<~>$ xfs_repair -o assume_xfs /dev/mapper/vg0-lv0
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
bad primary superblock - inconsistent filesystem geometry information !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...

[cut rest of xfs_repair output]

The xfs_repair finds secondary superblock and completes successfully but
when I mount I get the same result as before:

rajones at mapdata<~>$ df -h /lv0
/dev/mapper/vg0-lv0   4.1T  2.9T  1.3T  70% /lv0

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Randall

--
..:.::::
Randall Jones     GST      NASA Goddard Space Flight Center