[linux-lvm] can't reduce my lvm

Matthias Meyer Matthias.Meyer at gmx.li
Sat Nov 19 20:42:14 UTC 2005

Hello,

I've just created a VG called LVM, the PV /dev/hdc1..3 and a LV (called
Media) containing all three PVs. It have 233 GB free space. Than I copy 198
GB of data from another device to it.

After this I want to extend my LV. Therefore I add the PVs /dev/hdd1
and /dev/hdd2 to the VG.
All this will be done with webmin.

vdr:~# vgdisplay LVM
--- Volume group ---
VG Name               LVM
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                256
Cur LV                1
Open LV               0
MAX LV Size           2 TB
Max PV                256
Cur PV                5
Act PV                5
VG Size               418.97 GB
PE Size               32 MB
Total PE              13407
Alloc PE / Size       13407 / 418.97 GB
Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
VG UUID               4lE9xF-g9JE-o98E-y3H6-IqsS-0fbT-SDhR1x

Than I try to resize my LV.
lvextend -L+5959 /dev/LVM/Media /dev/hdd1 /dev/hdd2
e2fsadm -l 13407 /dev/LVM/Media
e2fsadm -- size of "/dev/LVM/Media" would not change

The reason is that my LV can't grow about 256 GB because my physical extend
is 32MB ?

Ok. I like to remove the two PV /dev/hdd1 and /dev/hdd2 from the VG.
vdr:~# pvmove /dev/hdd2
pvmove -- moving physical extents in active volume group "LVM"
pvmove -- WARNING: if you lose power during the move you may need
        to restore your LVM metadata from backup!
pvmove -- do you want to continue? [y/n] y
pvmove -- not enough free/allocatable physical extents

Whats That !?
I can't use /dev/hdd in the LV and I can't remove it from it?

Please help me!
Matthias
--
Don't Panic