[linux-lvm] One of 8 PVs dead - Trying to rescue data from remaining 7

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 12:09:18 UTC 2005

On 11/27/05, Old Fart <rascal.jumper-747 at cox.net> wrote:
> Craig Hagerman wrote:
> > On 10/31/05, Tom Robinson <tom.robinson at oxtel.com> wrote:
> >>
> I use raid 5 just for this problem.  Have dropped 2 of the 3 raid
> devices and system keeps on truckin'.  You can hot add devices back in
> and keep going while they sync.  Good luck.

Yeah, this would work with 3 discs, but doesn't answer the general
question about recovering data from a single LVM drive. In my 2 drive
system it wouldn't work. Any other ideas? I would assume that if one
drive failed it should be trivial to be able to access the information
on the remaining drive. If not, then I would be a lot safer going back
to a non-LVM system using the two drives as distinct partitions.

Craig