[linux-lvm] Re: One of 8 PVs dead - Trying to rescue data from

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Mon Nov 28 20:08:43 UTC 2005

..
>the general
>question about recovering data from a single LVM drive. In my 2 drive
>system it wouldn't work. Any other ideas? I would assume that if one
>drive failed it should be trivial to be able to access the information
>on the remaining drive. If not, then I would be a lot safer going back
>to a non-LVM system using the two drives as distinct partitions.

The only way I can think of to do it automatically is to use the repair tool
for the filesystem. You would probably have to create another PV to replace the
failed one, (zero it first) give it the same UID and recreate the volume with
the new PV in the correct place. Then let e2fsck (if an ext2 filesystem) find
whatever it can. It would be nice to make copies of the good PVs in case this
doesn't work satisfactorily if you have the space. Or would a snapshot help here?

You might ask on the filesystem specific mailing list if this has any chance.

HTH