[linux-lvm] Enterprise Backup Software with good support for LVM

Allen Bolderoff allen at gist.net.au
Tue Nov 29 20:49:12 UTC 2005

[mailto:linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com]
> On Behalf Of David Brown
> Sent: Wednesday, 30 November 2005 5:49 AM
> To: LVM general discussion and development
> Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Enterprise Backup Software with good support
for
> LVM
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 01:43:17PM -0500, Steffen Plotner wrote:
>
> > I would like to add that creating backups of LVM snapshots is
sensible,
> > as the data is in a crash-consistent state. Today's operating
systems
> > can definitely handle this type of state. I have developed scripts
that
> > effectively netcat contents from LVM snapshots to a remote machine
> > (either into another logical volume or simply a file).
>
> One other thing to point out.  Any backup utility that is based on
> timestamps, as opposed to a file database, is going to occasionally
miss
> changes made between the creation of the snapshot and the invocation
of
> the
> backup.

Not necessarily LVM specific, However, I am sure it will work with
snapshots, we have great success with backuppc - uses tar and/or rsync
and some clever compression/hardlinking to create easy to restore
backups with archiving all onto one partition.

If you haven't already, then check it out.
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Allen Bolderoff