[linux-lvm] Correct way to add disc to LVM

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 12:14:44 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I want to make sure I understand the correct way to add more disc
space under LVM. If you have LVM set up on one single HD, and then
want to extend that to cover a second HD what is the correct way to
proceed?

>From reading the HOWTO I think this is how it is done. Am I missing
anything essential here?

Add physical volumes to a volume group:
Use 'vgextend' to add an initialized physical volume to an existing
volume group.
# vgextend my_volume_group /dev/hdc1
                                    ^^^^^^^^^ new physical volume

Extend logical volume:

# lvextend -L12G /dev/myvg/homevol

         will extend /dev/myvg/homevol to 12 Gigabytes.

Increase size of file system to match the logical volume (assuming ext2 / 3):
   # umount /dev/myvg/homevol/dev/myvg/homevol
   # resize2fs /dev/myvg/homevol
   # mount /dev/myvg/homevol /home

Is this correct? Is this all you have to do?

Craig