[linux-lvm] Big problem with my LVM

Linuxian-Zaheer Abbas zaheerlg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 08:23:45 UTC 2005

Dear Guys..
I m also having a prob with LVM..
i configured LVM at SuSe 9.3 worked perfectly fine..
unfortunately my linux got some prob..
i restored it using 1st cd of suse 9.3 ... linux got recovered.. perfectly.
but LVM lost..
1st i tried to recreate the VG with same name and same PV
but it didnt showed my data.
after then i tried restored that .. but still my data is vanished..

Is there any way to get back / recover my data..?????

On 9/3/05, e-Jah <e-Jah at ejahworld.net> wrote:

> Le samedi 03 septembre 2005 à 01:54 +0200, e-Jah a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a big problem with my LVM, let me explain you it:
> > I had a lv of a vg, this vg was composed of 2 pv and i had an
> > ext3 partition on this lvm.
> > Today i reinstalled my system on a new hard drive and i used the partman
> > tool of debian, it detected me the 2 disks as lvm, then i simply create
> > a vg with this 2 disque, and a lv with all the space. After i said: "do
> > nothing" to put myself the entry to mount it in fstab.
> > Now i can't mount it, and fdisk don't detect any partition on this drive
> > Testdisk found nothing too.
> > I have the old informations about the lvm, is it possible to come back
> > in the old situation with them (or have you got a better solution ) ?
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > (sorry for my english ^^)
> >
> > My actual configuration (who doesn't work):
> >
> > [root at ici]/home/ejah #pvdisplay
> > --- Physical volume ---
> > PV Name /dev/hde1
> > VG Name donnees
> > PV Size 115,04 GB / not usable 0
> > Allocatable yes (but full)
> > PE Size (KByte) 4096
> > Total PE 29449
> > Free PE 0
> > Allocated PE 29449
> > PV UUID it2W5v-3hKi-DKCC-2eqw-C11U-GWoY-U7pO4v
> >
> > --- Physical volume ---
> > PV Name /dev/hdg1
> > VG Name donnees
> > PV Size 189,91 GB / not usable 0
> > Allocatable yes (but full)
> > PE Size (KByte) 4096
> > Total PE 48618
> > Free PE 0
> > Allocated PE 48618
> > PV UUID 6g9FOv-qeVO-00bW-B8TV-kL3t-D2XD-M09u0H
> >

> > [root at ici]/home/ejah # vgdisplay
> > --- Volume group ---
> > VG Name donnees
> > System ID
> > Format lvm2
> > Metadata Areas 2
> > Metadata Sequence No 2
> > VG Access read/write
> > VG Status resizable
> > MAX LV 0
> > Cur LV 1
> > Open LV 0
> > Max PV 0
> > Cur PV 2
> > Act PV 2
> > VG Size 304,95 GB
> > PE Size 4,00 MB
> > Total PE 78067
> > Alloc PE / Size 78067 / 304,95 GB
> > Free PE / Size 0 / 0
> > VG UUID CgCalc-mWD8-NwYs-Y79z-1A4V-MpY6-YkXQB0
> >
> > [root at ici]/home/ejah # lvdisplay
> > --- Logical volume ---
> > LV Name /dev/donnees/donnees
> > VG Name donnees
> > LV UUID mCFZue-m7Bf-LBju-BCjU-Xo7G-7GE7-dT2QeQ
> > LV Write Access read/write
> > LV Status available
> > # open 0
> > LV Size 304,95 GB
> [...]