[linux-lvm] EMERGENCY: killing pvmove

Sebastian sebastian at alice-it.net
Mon Sep 19 11:56:19 UTC 2005

Hello List,

I'm in a emergency situation so I haven't had the time to go through all
the threads. I have had a strange problem and through my interaction it
is now more severe as I think, so I have to get advice quickly.

I have several RAID subsets as physical volumes, each 1,4 TB in size,
combine to a volume group of 8,6 TB. This VG is splitted in 6 LV's. One
of the LV I did resize last week, and therefore added one PV of again
1,4TB to the VG, and resized one LV.

After that -- everything went ok, even resizing the ext3 partition -- I
got Input/Output errors while writing to the newly resized partition
(writing to the extended part of the partition). As realising this, I
put all the data off this partition, deleted it and was then trying to
remove the Raid subsystem with pvmove. While doing "pvmove /dev/sdg" I
just got an "segmentation fault".

As this wouldn't be enough, I restarted the computer putting the new
RAID subsystem on a different scsi controller, as I thought this could
be the problem. Then the pvmove command worked!

But as I realised shortly, I just moved the wrong one, as /dev/sdg is
now another subsystem (the damaged one is now /dev/sde).
Now I have the Problem that my sane part of the data is slowly moving to
the insane disk, which I can't stop! Even ctrl-c does not help...

How to stop it? Is a SIGTERM or SIGKILL allowed? Pleas help, I'm running
out of time!

Thanks a lot!!!!
yours
Sebastian