[linux-lvm] Directly using a logical volume

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Sep 21 20:54:02 UTC 2005

/ 2005-09-21 13:23:40 -0400
\ Allen, Jack:

man 3 open happened to be the open (POSIX) man page here.

> to only work for a regular file not a block device as the logical volume is.

to the best of my knowledge, the O_SYNC works on block devices, too.

> This was part of the reason for my questions. On UNIX systems we use the
> character device name and the O_SYNC does what you think it would there.

there is also O_DIRECT, which might be more what you want to use.
and there is the "raw" interface, too
(which is deprecated, afaik, at least in 2.6 kernels, where you should
use O_DIRECT instead).

> know this is Linux and some things are different. Again the reason for my
> questions. And yes it could be a linux-lvm question if the block device
> presented by LVM works differently than a true SCSI block device. Again the
> reason for the questions.

did not mean to offend you.
this is all abstracted in the generic block device layer,
so it does not make a difference whether it is ide/sata/scsi/lvm.

I'd recommend you use O_DIRECT|O_SYNC, then.
note that this implies buffer allignment restrictions.

this should just work as described by you.
still it probably does not hurt to have fsync in the code where appropriate.

cheers,