[linux-lvm] pvresize, resize 8e Linux LVM partition

Stanislaw Senotrusov senotrusov at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 05:16:20 UTC 2006

On 8/4/06, Lamont R. Peterson <peregrine at openbrainstem.net> wrote:
> Here is how I would do it:
>
> 1.  Kickstart install of new box (sets up LVM, includes packages, etc.)
> 2.  Run a script to install all of the needed configuration files for all the
> services the new server needs (could be run as part of the Kickstart).
> 3.  Copy the data the services will be "serving" to the new machine.
>
> There are lots of ways to do step 3.  Personally, I like to avoid as much of
> computational overhead as possible at this stage, so I like NFS mounting and
> "cp -a".  Plain, simple, fast and comprehensive.  YMMV.

Thank you for the letter, Lamont!

Procedure you described requires a so much time to complete.

Tomorrow I end up the following pipeline:

1. Create only one 4Gb plain root partition (no LVM) which holds a
entire system and my application. It's used in a development and test
environment. The actual stored data is about a 1.5 Gb. I am pretty
sure the base system it never fills entire 4 Gb in my case.

2. To build a production server I am bytecopy the root partition to a
new box (only a few minutes), boot from it, create LVM in a free space
and moves application from root to LVM.
Production database now have space to grow. Also I get rid of equal
UUID problem.

Additionally there is no need for kickstart process is VM environment
- I just need to setup OS one time, and then when I need another box I
just clone initial setup - it takes a few second. For testing and
development VM overhead is ok.

--
Stas Senotrusov